Reporting to the Director of Safety, the Safety Specialist is responsible for the task level oversight of the driving workforce, with a focus on onboarding, orientation, and training. Additional responsibilities include involvement with regulatory and policy compliance. Works with management and internal departments to minimize occupational health and safety risks and manage compliance with applicable regulations.
Pay Range: Mid $50,000 to Max $60,000 commensurate with experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure new drivers, existing drivers, and driver mentors receive the appropriate level of training timely to include orientation, onboarding, and continuing employee engagement.
- Verify that all required training has taken place and assesses the need for additional training.
- Maintain updated curriculum database and training records as requested.
- Maintain updated regulatory driver motor vehicle reports (MVR).
- Oversee and administer random drug & alcohol process.
- Market available training opportunities to employees and providing necessary information.
- Assist with data entry and verification to maintain compliance of drivers.
- Monitor drivers’ hours of service, commercial drivers license renewals and expirations, medical certifications and renewals.
- Monitor onboard technologies (©Samsara) alerts and video events.
- Monitor continuous driver monitoring technologies (©Sambasafety)
- Audit records of duty as necessary to ensure compliance.
- Assist drivers with troubleshooting of ELD as necessary.
- Input, term, and/or red tag drivers in system and any other applicable recordkeeping reports or sites as necessary.
- Check and update driver permit books as necessary.
- Disseminate health safety and environmental information to operational management.
- Know and understand company policies and comply with all requirements including employee handbooks, operations and technical procedures.
- Regularly provide statistical data and trend analysis to operations.
- Work with and monitor safety committees.
- Perform inclement weather observations to determine whether or not it is safe to place drivers on the road.
- Learn and become proficient with applicable technology.
- Assist with security and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) audits.
- Follow up with drivers on tickets and suspensions.
- Perform data collection, responsible for updating spreadsheets and records with the applicable information.
- Consult with managers on special projects and is responsible for attending customer visits and maintaining positive customer relations.
- Maintain and improve regulatory knowledge in the fields of safety and environmental regulations and processes.
- Interact with field associates, to include leadership on a regular basis.
- Interact with adjusters, law enforcement or other state agencies, and state trucking associations on a regular basis.
- Carry out work assignments to the highest level of quality.
- Possess and demonstrate the ability to perform assigned tasks in a manner that adheres to the companies Safety, Health, Environmental and Security policies.
- Occasional travel up to 10% of the time, engaging consistently with drivers
- Ability to work extended hours as needed, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Required: High School Diploma/GED; preferred: a related degree or comparable formal training, certification, or work experience
- Logistics experience preferred
- 3+ years of experience in a transportation safety-related position
- Experience with presentations and presenting to cross-functional teams
- Advanced knowledge of federal / state motor carrier regulations, including OSHA, DOT, and EPA
- Strong verbal / written communication skills
- Must be dependable and able to work independently
- Intermediate PC skills, including MS Office
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and shift focus between tasks; attention to detail
- Possess excellent time management skills and the ability to manage tasks in an effective and efficient manner
- Function in a fast-paced environment