The Dispatcher is responsible for the day-to-day management of drivers; and to ensure timely, accurate and efficient service to LincLogistics customers. This position requires strong problem-solving skills, leadership, mentoring abilities, multi-tasking and superior communications ability; and must possess knowledge of Hours-of-Service regulations and electronic logging devices (ELD) to manage metrics related to monitoring driver logs and hours to optimize capacity for the fleet. This is an exempt position. This position will report to the Director of Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate by Management.
- Dispatch independent contractor and company drivers using a fair and consistent approach, ensuring driver has adequate time to perform duties safely and within the Hours of Work regulations
- Instruct drivers with clear and concise pick-up and delivery instructions
- Effectively problem solve driver trouble tickets at the terminal in a timely manner
- Ensure regular yard checks are completed, identifying all containers are current in operating system for LincLogistics locations
- Effective utilization of VIntermodal dispatch system and operations
- Track LincLogistics’ equipment to ensure proper utilization and prevent losses
- Knowledgeable of equipment requirements for over-weight cargo
- Ensure equipment is picked up and returned in a timely manner and to the correct depot to minimize per diem, demurrage, and additional legs to help reduce company’s avoidable expenses
- Clearly communicate daily with customer service with relevant information
- Cross-trained to cover workload distribution in the event a Dispatcher is out
- Monitor and oversee drivers logs to ensure compliant practice in offering dispatches to the appropriate drivers
- Ensure operations are conducted in full compliance with the FMCSA Hours of Service Regulations
- Maintain up to date knowledge of regulations, disseminating relevant updates to LincLogistics personnel
- Coordinate daily with those handling the scheduling duties, to ensure capacity and customer commitments align with available HOS
- Performs data analysis for logs/HOS weekly, to review accounts/lanes that effect capacity positively or negatively
- Regular attendance is a required function of the position
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in container management – V-intermodal preferred
- Experience with the steamship line carriers and chassis providers in the Houston market
- Service and customer-focused with an amiable character
- Must be a self-starter, willing to work with minimal supervision and independently
- Must be dependable and reliable
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to learn/work in multiple operating systems.
- Possess and maintain a positive can-do attitude
- High School Diploma or GED
- Hours of Service (ELD) experience required
- 3 years of experience in transportation, drayage, and/or intermodal industry(ies)
- 1-3 years’ experience as a dispatcher – intermodal preferred
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.